Gulu University is a Public University established by Statutory Instrument No. 31 of 2003. The University was set to serve as a launch pad for equitable development in Uganda; provide knowledge and skills; and, stimulate innovations in education, technology, economic advancement and social development.
The University is located in Gulu City with campuses in Kitgum District and Hoima City; and, a Constituent College Project in Moroto District.
The Vision of the University is To be the leading Academic Institution for promotion of Community Transformation and Industrialization for Sustainable Development.
The Mission of the University is To provide access to Quality Higher Education, Training, Research and Innovations for the Delivery of Appropriate Services towards Community Transformation and Sustainable Development.
To achieve its Vision and Mission, the University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions:
POSITION: ACCOUNTS ASSISTANT I
VACANCY: TWO (02)
SALARY SCALE: M7 (NON-TEACHING NON-SCIENCE)
REPORTS TO: ASSISTANT BURSAR
Key duties and responsibilities
a. Ensures that payments are being processed within the approved budget and have been authorised by the Accounting Officer;
b. Prepares and processes statutory deductions;
c. Processes/invoices payment on IFMS;
d. Updates vote book to ensure all expenditures are captured in the vote book;
e. Generates payment vouchers on IFMS and attaches to the relevant documents;
f. Ensures that all payments are properly acknowledged by recipients and accounted for;
g. Cancels invoices on hold and rejected invoices on IFMS where necessary;
h. Prepares monthly reconciliations;
i. Assists the Assistant Bursar in preparing monthly returns;
j. Keeps organized records of accounts payables;
k. Updates records of Assets and Liabilities of the University;
l. Prepares timely and accurate expenditure/revenue report;
m. Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
a. Payments made within the approved budget;
b. Statutory deductions prepared and processed;
c. Payments processed/invoiced on IFMS;
d. Vote book updated;
e. Payment vouchers generated on IFMS and the relevant documents attached;
f. All payments properly acknowledged by recipients and accounted for;
g. Invoices on hold and rejected invoices on IFMS canceled, where necessary;
h. Monthly reconciliations prepared;
i. Assistant Bursar assisted in preparing monthly returns;
j. Records of accounts payables kept in an organized way;
k. Records of Assets and Liabilities of the University updated;
l. Timely and accurate expenditure/revenue report prepared;
m. Any other assigned duty performed.
Must possess the following:
a. An Honours Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, or Accounting and Finance,
b. Relevant experience will be an added advantage.
Essential skills and competencies
Book Keeping, Ledger Management, Information Communication Technology, and Accountability, Ethics and Integrity and Time management.
The applicant must be between the ages of twenty five (25) and thirty five (35) years at the time of application.
Tenure of appointment
The appointment shall be on permanent terms upon successful completion of a probationary period of 6 (six) months (where applicable).
Suitably qualified and interested persons should submit six (6) hard copies of the application consisting of the following:
1. Letter expressing interest in the job;
2. Recent passport size photographs attached to each copy of the application;
3. A detailed and up to date Curriculum Vitae signed and dated by the applicant;
4. Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates;
5. Copies of relevant appointment letter(s) (where applicable);
6. Copies of National Identity Card and any other relevant identification document;
7. Reference letters from three (3) referees who should be advised to send their reference letters under confidential cover, either in hard copy or using the email address email@example.com
8. Sealed applications with the position applied for indicated on the top right corner of the envelope and reference letters should reach the address below not later than 5:00pm on Wednesday 15th February, 2023:
The University Secretary
P. O. Box 166, Gulu City (U)
1. Incomplete applications and/or applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered.
2. Applicants who do not have National Identity Cards, or whose names and dates of birth on the National Identity Cards are inconsistent with the names and dates of birth on the other required documents will not be shortlisted.
3. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org