Background: The Institute for Social Transformation (IST) is a Non-Governmental Organization registered with the NGO Board; its primary goal is to promote a more just society with an inclusive development approach in Eastern Africa. IST focuses on the following thematic areas; transformational learning and leadership, gender relations and economic empowerment the Institute IST has registered enormous achievements and established its self as a capacity building, an innovative and transformative organization that empowers individuals, organizations and communities especially women with skills and tools to discover and maximize their potentials to initiate, own and control development programs that impact on their livelihoods. Mission: To develop the capacity for critical thinking for efficient, effective leadership, gender equality and transformational learning through capacity building, Innovation and advocacy for the marginalized majority (women and Youth).
Purpose & scope of the assignment
IST seeks to recruit a highly competent person to fill the position of an Accountants Assistant. The Accountants Assistant will work together with the Accountant in ensuring that IST finance department runs more efficiently.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Accountant in preparing monthly reports and bank reconciliation statements.
- Assist the finance officer in processing payment in compliance with IST finance policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update the assets register.
- Maintaining and updating the ledger accounts, monthly reconciliation of suppliers’ accounts.
- Ensure that expenses are coded properly and that documentation is complete and presented in chronological order.
- Assist the finance officer in Issuing of program advances and subsequent follow-up on accountability.
- Assist the Accountant in ensuring that all financial documents and vouchers are filed appropriately.
- Assist the Accountant in the coordination of office administration.
- Assist in banking of field advance balances.
- Assist the Finance Officer in preparation for external and internal audits.
- Any other duties assigned by the Accountant and Executive Director
- Finance / budget
- Prepares the planning of the financial needs for forth coming periods.
- Maintains the petty cash box, with all due accounting and security precautions.
- Prepares the elements for the budget analysis. Maintains the budget forecast tool.
- Monitors the development of expenditure, ensuring that budget overruns do not occur and prepares requests for possible amendments.
- Carries out any other duties that may reasonably or exceptionally be required to ensure the smooth operation of IST’s work, such as substituting for absent colleagues, etc
Information / reporting
The FA will submit the Weekly and monthly expenditure reports.
- Degree or Diploma in Accounting and Finance
- Knowledge in Accounting software (QuickBooks)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills.
- Good computer applications skills.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in diversified environments.
- Attention to details.
- Ability to learn fast.
The initial duration of the job will be for 3 months. The contract will be extendable with availability of funding on satisfactory performance.
IST shall accept ONLY applications through email provided below. Applications shall be submitted not later than 22nd March, 2023. Applications should be addressed to the Executive Director, Institute for Social Transformation. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy in email@example.com Tel: +256-414665496