About Evidence Action
Evidence Action is a global non-profit organization with an approach distinctive in international development – we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Our programs have grown since our founding in 2013 to reach over 280 million people annually. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator.
We do development differently. We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Initiative has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.4 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Dispensers for Safe Water provides sustained safe water access to over 4 million people in rural Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation. Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across eight countries in Africa and Asia, our 400+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background – with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Our goal is to double our impact by 2024, to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action – because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
The position is responsible for facilitating an efficient HR function for the Uganda office through responsible and timely delivery of HR services and interventions. Reporting to the Associate Manager, HR, the incumbent will have responsibility for provision of effective and efficient HR support to all program staff and maintain compliance with all HR policies and procedures in line with Evidence Action values and philosophy.
Who We’re Looking For:
Evidence Action seeks a highly motivated individual with the ability to think creatively and work effectively in an entrepreneurial environment. S/he must be able to function independently and flexibly, solving problems as they arise. S/he should be comfortable juggling multiple competing objectives, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and be able to consistently overcome unforeseen hurdles to help programs scale. Evidence Action places great value on the following qualities: resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, tenacity, analytic rigor, independence and work ethic.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure staff compliance to policy and procedures, HR practices, and local labour laws.
- Coordinate and provide HR and administrative support in on-boarding and offboarding functions
- Maintain confidentiality and ensure that access to staff records and information is strictly to the authorized personnel.
- Maintain staff records and personnel files and keep them up to date.
- Support the recruitment process – posting jobs on workable, Scheduling interviews up to hire stage.
- Drafting of employment contracts for Casual employees and consultancy contracts.
- Act as liaison for all HR correspondence between field offices and HR Office Liaison between staff
- Support HR strategy in implementing various HR Initiatives and keeping all stakeholders informed.
- Support the delivery for end-to-end HR Services and standardize processes across the region.
- Support in implementation of PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) for employees on extension of probation/during the year.
- Undertake meetings with Focus groups, and arrange for developmental interventions to help build capabilities. •
- Support and advise the stakeholders on dealing with all Employee Relations matters.
- Managing timesheets for all offices within the country – submission and follow up on late submission as well reporting/escalation of system problems.
- Support in planning field HR training & activities
- Maintenance of leave records
Key performance Indicators
- Up to date personnel records (personnel file and system)
- Timesheets for all staff approved by last day of the month
- Effectiveness in Onboarding and off-boarding processes
- Efficient recruitment Process & quality of new hires
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field with Human Resource Management experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
- Strong communication, and people management skills
- Possession of at least (3) years work experience in a similar role.
- Experience in an international organization or INGO is an added advantage.
- Should be a member of the Human Resource Manager’s Association of Uganda (HRMAU)
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, must be able to interact in a mature, professional and friendly manner with local and international colleagues
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently and under pressure
- Attention to details with highly developed organizational skills
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice