U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2023-024
Position Title: Carpenter
Opening Period: 03/22/2023 – 03/31/2023
Series/Grade: FSN 4/FP-AA
Salary: UGX 34,031,362
For More Info: KampalaHRLERecruitment@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply. https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Carpenter.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Working in the Facility Management section of the Embassy, the Carpentry Maintenance Worker carries out scheduled and unscheduled preventive maintenance and repair work on finish and interior assemblies, furnishings and fixtures in all mission buildings and facilities including residential owned and leased properties. Job holder would repair, adjust and install doors, windows, hardware, wall, ceiling and floor coverings, sunshades and blinds; fixed furnishings; painting of various surfaces; and replacement specified glazing products with required installation materials. Assists as needed various manual tasks such as: demolition work, painting, plumbing, carpentry work, routine and preventive maintenance, and general clean-up of work areas.
Download: detailed Position Description | PD- Carpenter
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required and/or completion of vocational training from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level technicians with a concentration in carpentry is required.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years of experience in the repair and maintenance of building assemblies, furnishings, and fixture operations.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English Level 2 – Limited knowledge; written & spoken is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to identify problems or dangers, report issues and provide solution.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to answer queries from end-users.
- Ability to work as part of a team, work under pressure and a tight schedule.
- A flexible approach to work shifts and answer emergency calls at all hours.
- A current class B, CM, DL driver’s license is required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- A level certificate.
- Vocational Training Certificate
- Diploma certificate
- Valid Driver’s license of classes B, CM, DL.
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.