The Capital Markets Authority (CMA) is a statutory body, established in 1996 by the Capital Markets Authority Act (Cap 84) as amended, to promote, develop and regulate the capital markets industry. CMA is governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Minister of Finance, Planning and Economic Development.
The CMA is mandated by law to:
Approve prospectus and other offering documents under which securities are offered to the public;
Develop the capital markets through removal of impediments and the creation of incentives for longer term investments in productive enterprises.
Create, maintain and regulate a market in which securities can be issued and traded in an orderly, fair and efficient manner.
Cooperate with, any foreign regulatory authority in the performance of its duties;
Implement regional and international standards and best practice in securities markets, securities regulation and supervision.
Protect investors; and
Operate an investor compensation fund.
The work of the CMA is also governed by the Securities Central Depositories Act, 2009 and the Collective Investment Schemed Act, 2003.
To deliver on its mandate efficiently and effectively, CMA is seeking to hire a qualified and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Communications & Public Relations Manager as follows;
This role is responsible for creating, delivering and evaluating campaigns and initiatives that lead to the effective positioning and promotion of the Authority via its internal and external communications channels.
Responsibilities /Key Deliverables
1) Formulates, implements and continuously reviews a high-quality communication, Public Relations (PR) and public education strategy in line with CMA’s strategic plan.
2) Ensures CMA’s visibility among its target audiences through updating the information posted on CMA’s website, social media handles, and in print and electronic media. This may include periodically communicating on behalf of the Authority as delegated by the CEO.
3) Periodically advises the CEO and management on communication and public relations issues.
4) Develops and implements corporate communication and public relations policies, procedures, operational plans and messages of the Authority.
5) Develops and disseminates public education literature/ material. This includes publishing the Authority’s annual reports and strategic plan. 6) Prepares and manages the Communication and Public Relations budget.
6) Organizes public coverage of CMA events including but not limited to press conferences, media interviews, conferences and workshops, as necessary.
7) Manages internal communication for the Authority.
8) Plans, monitors and coordinates the implementation of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives in line with the strategic plan, mission and core values of CMA. (Subject to availability of funding).
Education & Training
An honours degree in Mass Communication, Marketing or other related field from a recognised university.
A post-graduate qualification in Communication, Marketing or a related field is an added advantage.
Skills & Experience
1) At least 5 years’ experience at a senior level, in corporate affairs management, communication, PR or marketing. Experience in the financial services industry will be an added advantage.
2) Demonstrable interest in the capital markets industry.
3) Good interpersonal skills
4) Knowledge and experience in managing digital content management systems e.g. social media platforms and management suites.
5) Experience in writing, editing or producing written communication for targeted audiences. Experience handling crisis communication will be an advantage
6) Membership to the Public Relations Association of Uganda (PRAU) or a related professional body is an added advantage.
Advanced communication and collaboration skills across a range of audiences including corporate, academic, governing bodies and the wider public
Relationship management and negotiation skills.
Ability to conceptualise, create and deliver an organisational communications strategy
Excellent social communication skills in addition to a high level of written and verbal communication skills.
Sound organisational and administrative abilities Ability to work unsupervised.
Attention to detail.
Excellent skills in the use of key Microsoft office suite applications. Energy, flair, adaptability and a willingness to learn and impart knowledge to others.
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send via email (in standard file types, namely Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (pdf) in a single attachment, and should not exceed 10MB) their applications together with a recent CV (with information on 3 refererees), copies of Academic Transcripts and/or Certificates by Thursday 6th April 2023, BEFORE 5:00 PM.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com and addressed to:
The Director Human Resources & Administration Capital Markets Authority,
8th Floor, Uganda Business Facilitation Centre 1 Baskerville Avenue, Kololo
P. O. Box 24565, Kampala, Uganda
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Your application will only be reviewed if you have fulfilled all the above stated requirements, including submission of documents in standard file types. Zipped files, links and / or multiple attachments are not acceptable.