Website United Bank for Africa
United Bank for Africa (UBA) is one of Africa’s leading financial institutions, with operations in
twenty (20) countries and three (3) global financial centers: London, Paris and New York. UBA
has evolved into a Pan-African, provider of banking and related financial services through
diverse channels globally.
United Bank for Africa Uganda represents UBA’s pioneer country activities in the East and
Southern African sub-region. With a growing network of branches and ATMs across the
country, the bank continues to expand the retail and commercial playing field in Uganda by
delivering unique financial products and solutions. The bank is seeking to recruit the following
highly motivated, competent, result oriented and dynamic professionals for the following
Title: Compliance & Data Protection Officer (01)
Reports To: Head Compliance
Duty Station: Head Office
• To implement a compliance framework by continuously monitoring the internal Data
• Protection regulations and constantly update the Bank on its compliance levels in line with
• the regulatory laws/standards.
• To build a strong KYC environment to ensure zero level ML/TF infractions in line with the
• Compliance Standards/Policies/Control and serve as the point of contact between the
• Bank and any Supervisory Authorities that oversee activities related to data Protection.
Duties And Responsibilities
• Drive KYC & EDD in every customer’s account and qualifying transaction to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing in the Bank through extensive traveling across the branch network to deliver training to staff members and carry out Spot Checks on high risk accounts.
• Provide AML / KYC compliance counseling, advisory and decision support services to the business units in line with KYC/AML policies and guidelines.
• Review, develop and implement data protection policies, within the Bank in line with data protection laws and regulations of Uganda and other related/applicable bodies.
• Formulate, implement and oversee programs intended to raise awareness about data protection within the Bank.
• Monitor compliance of the Bank with all legislations/ regulations/ rules/ guidelines in relation to data protection by implementing systems, changes and functions in terms of being compliant and make recommendations or report breaches to your Line Manager.
• Respond and resolve all business unit’s enquiries on AML/CFT and KYC issues as well as responses to AML/KYC Recertification Questionnaires from Correspondent Banks as when applicable.
• Plan and coordinate compliance sensitizations/trainings for staff and service providers to develop a compliance culture amongst employees and other stakeholders within the bank.
• Monitor the effectiveness and efficiency of channels for internal and external reporting of suspicious activity such as internal whistle blowing in line compliance reporting framework.
• Follow up on closure of all audit exceptions related to Data Protection.
• Receive requests/queries and resolve complaints relating to Data protection infringement and breaches and devise indicatives/recommendations for improvements.
• Maintain updated records of processing operations of the Data Protection Unit.
• Proactively, participate in the AML/KYC routine examination by regulators according to the Regulator’s schedule/time and Maintain an efficient working relationship with all units/Regulators to proactively prevent any adverse action against the bank on regulatory compliance issues.
• First degree (or equivalent) in Accounting, Banking & Finance or related discipline
• At least three a minimum of Three (3) years banking experience in operations, Audit, Compliance and Internal Control.
• Good knowledge and understanding of banking operations, bank –wide policies and
• regulatory guidelines.
• Knowledge of data protection practices within the Banking industry.
• Knowledge of regulatory and statutory requirements specifically related to data
• Knowledge of data gathering and analysis
• Awareness of the sensitivity of the data processing and management
• Ability to carry out reviews/checks, consultation, documentation and analysis
• Ability to apply data protection practices and regulation into the business
• Fraud Detection & Control
Job application process
If you meet the above requirements please send your CV, application letter and copies of
academic certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to;
Head, Human Capital
United Bank for Africa
Plot 2, Jinja Rd
Deadline for application is Thursday, 15th December, 2022.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com