|The United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is responsible for providing leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the programmes and activities of the United Nations System. Under the overall guidance and supervision by the Local Security Associate (LSA)/Field Security Associate (FSA), the Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services to UNDSS and ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, high sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds within the duty stations of Uganda
Duties and Responsibilities
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of UNDSS, other authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents, and other items.
- Drive assigned personnel in a safe manner
- Maintain assigned vehicle clean and in good working condition
- Check the vehicle every day for fuel, oil, water, other lubricants, and tyres
- Report any faults identified to the supervisor
- Use good judgment and be security conscious while executing assigned duties
- Record vehicle trips and mileage as well as arranging for refueling and servicing of the vehicles
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- To attempt all the assigned mandatory courses.
- To perform any other related function as and when required.
- Manage an efficient emergency coordination center.
- Operate VHF & HF radios, sat phones and maintain daily radio and operations logbook.
- Conduct radio checks as requested by the UN security operations.
- Act quickly in the event of an emergency and contact relevant authorities to contain and help solve critical incidents.
- Coordinates and follows up with QRF for incident occurrences.
- Obtain security clearance for trips to and from UN operational areas country wide.
- Record and track UN vehicles and staff movements during missions.
- Maintain a detailed incident logbook for the daily security reports.
- Prepare and conduct emergency telecommunications briefing for new staff.
- Be flexible to replace colleagues while on leave within and outside duty station.
- Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organizations core values of Professionalism, Integrity, and Respect for Diversity.
- Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity,
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary School Education in both “O” and “A” level is a requirement
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience is required.
- UN Experience would be an asset.
- Safe driving record.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Good knowledge of the terrain of the area
- Possess good knowledge of the local languages
- Good mechanical knowledge
- Ability to use computer packages such as Word and Excel
CLICK HERE TO APPLY >>>>