Position Title: Finance and Administration Manager
Reporting to: Country Representative
Division : Church World Service – Africa
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Grade Level: Grade 8, Manager, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is responsible for providing leadership to the Finance and Administration Departments within CWS Uganda country office. It will ensure that CWS Uganda is compliant with relevant CWS and Donor policies and procedures within the finance and administration departments. These will include, but not limited to, budget preparation, planning and oversight as well as coordination, management, and reporting. The position will ensure efficient operations and procedures to ensure organizational effectiveness. The role will also oversee the planning, training, quality control, and monitoring of the Administration team in Uganda.
Management and Supervision
- Provide leadership and supervise the administrative functions (Office Management, Finance, and IT) of the CWS Uganda office ensuring they are professional, effective and efficient.
- Ensure the relevant SOPs are regularly updated and stored and training sessions on the same arranged.
- Ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the office through supervision and management; planning and supervising work of the program-related finance staff including tracking and monitoring of procurements and expenditures.
- Develops and maintains good working relationship with external partners, vendors, contractors and other stakeholder.
- Provide originality, initiative and good judgment in applying CWS policies to new and unusual problems.
- Manage and monitors workload within the unit and prioritizes work assignment accordingly.
- Coordinate, support and liaises with other CWS Africa offices and sub-offices regarding visits, reports, office policies and services.
- Plan and execute annual process reviews for the entire administrative function.
- Provide leadership and support for all financial management areas including accounting, payments, and reporting systems and procedures.
- Coordinate with related staff to ensure that project budgets, accounting and fiscal control procedures are implemented effectively.
- Responsible for annual budgeting process. Providing direct supervision of forecasting and costing out of items proposed in the budget. Manages and consolidates projections from all departments.
- Provide ongoing financial administration to the country office, including the processing of approvals for procurements, consultant agreements, and vendor invoices.
- Oversee the monthly projections of expected expenses and monitors expenditure within the administrative function.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
- In Coordination with the Country Representative, update and implement all necessary policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Ensure financial management systems are in line with CWS Africa’s SOPs, Cooperative Agreement and 2 CFR 200
- Work closely with the team over the project implementation planning and cash flow projections.
- Support staff to effectively manage their budgets through training sessions.
- Ensure financial records and backup documentation is ready and adequate for internal and external audits.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors.
- Reports any violation of compliance with CWS Africa’s SOPs, Cooperative Agreement and 2 CFR 200, as well as any instances of conflict of interest to the Chief Financial Officer at Headquarters.
- Oversee all administration and ensure strict compliance with CWS Africa’s SOPs, Cooperative Agreement and 2 CFR 200
- Ensure the administration units are in compliance with Fileserver organization and group email protocols.
- Ensure development, implementation, dissemination, monitoring and adherence of Standard Operating procedures (SOPs) for the entire administration function.
- Conduct job function observations of administration, Finance and IT staff to ensure compliance is met and identify any areas of improvement or training needs.
- Oversee regular internal audits and end of year financial audits.
- Assist in program development and proposal preparation as needed.
Administration (Property, Logistics, IT and Office Management):
- Oversee the inventory of office equipment and supplies.
- Oversee the Fixed Assets Register
- Oversee travel arrangements for staff, both domestically and internationally
- Oversee visa processing for expatriate staff.
- Oversee the maintenance of a clean and professional working environment.
- Develop and train on office management policies and procedures.
- Assist Administration Supervisor in ensuring compliance with procurements and CWS Africa’s SOPs, Cooperative Agreement and 2 CFR 200
- Provide direct supervision and leadership to administration staff to include Administration Supervisor, and Senior Finance Officer including yearly performance evaluations, developing job descriptions, participating in hiring and coordinating leave.
- Provide regular feedback to administrative staff and manages facilitation of training, coaching and mentoring.
- Manage and ensures establishment of performance expectations and on boarding for all administrative staff.
- Monitor and ensures a safe, healthy, and professional work environment for the administration units.
- Actively supports staff by promoting safe space, open-door policy and the escalation policy.
- Ensure and manages working resources availed to staff in the administration units.
- Ensure direct reports are accessing and using their benefits appropriately including leave.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant work experience required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of supervisory experience, with an international NGO in a similar position required.
- Two (2) years of work experience in an organization that adheres to US Government CFR 200 required.
- Strong computer skills, in particular Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Access required.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written English language skills.
- Working knowledge of Sage ERP System Working knowledge of the 2 CFR 200
- Knowledge of Uganda laws and customs preferred.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Strategic Management or a related field, or four (4) years additional work experience in a similar field required in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Serve as a coach/mentor to staff.
- Supervise staff to ensure policies and procedures are implemented and executed in accordance with guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems.
- Travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and often under difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic program.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal effectively and courteously with many associates, outside agencies, refugees, and members of the public.
- Conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail.
- Carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision; Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa
- Take initiative in the development and completion of projects within the specified timeframe; Maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information; Manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation. Effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources; and
- Actively contribute to the successful implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP)
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required
- COVID Vaccination is required for all successful candidates.
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Kampala, Uganda
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- Background check which includes references, and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Any other special requirements
How to Apply
Log onto CWS Careers site: Work with CWS – CWS (cwsglobal.org)