dfcu Bank is a fast-growing Bank in Uganda offering a wide range of financial solutions to its chosen market segments. We are seeking to recruit for the position of Head of Internal Controls in the Operations (COO) Domain to support our expansion strategy.
REPORTING TO: Chief Operating Officer
JOB PURPOSE: Reporting to Chief Operating Officer, the role holder is responsible for delivering the control agenda of the Bank’s first line by assessing Internal Controls, advising on their adequacy and drive the development of systems / work processes aimed at a robust control governance framework as well as compliance to internal and external requirements.
- Develop and document the annual control assurance program for the first line and in line with the Combined Assurance Framework.
- Identify inadequacies in processes and controls across the first line and support the teams in reviews and enhancements.
- Provide input to the Risk Management Framework and compliance process activities and related documentation (e.g., policies, operational procedures).
- Monitor the performance of controls in all processes using tools such as Key Control Self Assessments/Key Risk Indicators, incident reports and ensure that escalations are made where necessary to manage risks in a timely manner.
- Identify training needs, development of a training program and continuous assessment of front-line staff on controls awareness.
- Perform root cause analysis for control failures across the bank and appropriate remedial actions are identified and implemented for sustainability as part of the Incident management process and in an effort to reduce operational losses.
- Leverage automation and data analytics to enable a proactive risk management approach.
- Track remedial actions from internal audits, regulatory reviews, Financial Crime Management investigations, control reviews and other such assurance reviews is undertaken as agreed with the business units.
- Manage staff in an effective manner (hiring, motivation, retention, performance/rewards assessments, development/corrective actions etc.)
- Review and recommend process improvement and optimization in line Bank’s policies and procedures, regulatory framework, and Bank’s business strategy.
- Perform revenue assurance activities from the first line of defence to prevent revenue leakage.
- Support the policy review framework across the business by drawing from monitoring activities, process performance trends, industry standards, etc and applying the relevant insights to improve the control framework.
- Monitor the effective implementation of the operational risk framework i.e., loss control, incident management, Business Continuity Management, Integrated Risk Management as per the approved risk management framework across the network.
- Engaging key stakeholders to enhance/improve the risk and control culture across the network through effective engagement and support to Business teams.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE and COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- A minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s degree in business related fields.
- Professional certification /qualification in Risk Management/ Audit will be an added advantage.
- At least 8 years’ experience, with a minimum of 3 years exposure in a Managerial position.
- Knowledge of Risk Management processes (e.g., methods for assessing and mitigating risk).
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and ethics as they relate to Banking.
- Knowledge of applicable business processes and operations of financial institutions
- Knowledge of Enterprise Risk Management and Business Continuity Planning.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Analytical Thinking & Inductive Reasoning.
- Planning and Organization.
- Problem Solving.
- Strategic Perspective – Establish priorities, challenging goals, and measurements consistent with these goals and organizational vision.
- Critical Judgement and Decision-Making – Define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions to obstacles.
- Good Communicator – Presents ideas effectively, clearly, and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Leadership and Interpersonal Skills – Create a culture of continuous development and ownership with self and the team.
- Inspire Commitment –Actions and behaviours are consistent with words.
- Self-Development – Pursues positive change in self and organization.
- Drives own personal development plan.
If you believe you meet the requirements as noted above, please forward your application with a detailed CV including present position and copies of relevant professional/academic certificates (University Transcript, O & A level), by close of business on Wednesday 12th April 2023 to the email address indicated below.
dfcu Bank is committed to give equal opportunities in employment and aims to ensure that it does not discriminate against gender or race. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted through +256 312 300391.
Disclaimer: dfcu Bank does not solicit/accept payment in cash/kind from prospective candidates in exchange for shortlisting or job placement. Any candidate who engages in this kind of transaction is aiding and abetting fraud and will be automatically disqualified.