NGO Non Government Organisations jobs in Uganda
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Kampala Uganda, that treats depression in women and young people in Africa, where access to mental healthcare is extremely limited.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 160,000 individuals with depression in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa, with a potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes, BBC World Service, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost- effective mental health organization working in the developing world.
Position Description: Learning & Development Specialist
StrongMinds is seeking a proven specialist to design and implement learning and development programs that improve employee productivity and effectiveness. This will include conducting needs assessments, designing training programs, developing instructional materials, delivering training sessions as well as evaluating the results of training programs and developing tools and resources for continuous learning. This position actively searches, creatively designs, and implements effective methods to educate, enhance performance and recognize performance.
The Learning and Development specialist will be required to understand StrongMinds learning and development requirements and develop effective working relationships with the key stakeholders by developing, coordinating, delivering, and evaluating effective learning interventions across a range of programme, management, and operational areas that lead to embedding of a learning culture within the organisation.
Key Areas of Responsibility/ Accountability:
Learning and Development – structure and strategy
1. Support the Director of People in implementing key learning projects in line with the StrongMinds people strategy and organisational vision, mission and goals.
2. Design and implement StrongMinds staff development policy and ensure that theres a vibrant learning management system/programme and that there is demonstrated continuous improvement in standards of performance.
3. Develop and implement the StrongMinds training strategy. Manage the development and execution of Training Needs Analysis (TNA), training calendar and training delivery.
4. Drive a culture of on-going or on the job professional development in the organisation.
5. Analyze the overall impact of learning and development on employee engagement, retention, and career progression.
6. Establish strong partnerships with human resources, leadership, and programme teams to gain a strong understanding of current business issues and opportunities to develop & implement high impact learning & development programs in line with business needs and priorities.
7. Manage formal and information communications for L&D interventions to drive awareness, adoption, and attendance
8. Support the assessment of leadership development needs across the organization; lead the design, development, and implementation of cross-cutting leadership development activities.
9. Keep up with industry trends to identify new approaches to training and be aware of changes in the workforce that may impact the organizations training needs.
10. Research new learning methods and approaches ensuring that StrongMinds utilises the most effective techniques which may involve piloting new programs or attending conferences, seminars and other learning forums.
11. Support the Director of People and Global Leadership Team to manage the StrongMinds succession planning framework.
12. Develop a Competence Framework based on an outcomes-based learning framework used to define and develop competence within the organization. It involves specifying the competence for a job and then aligning learning to meet the competence required for that job.
13. Formulate an assessment approach that is integral to the learning process and is therefore an important part thereof, to align to our career mapping and subsequent talent deployment.
Learning and Development design and delivery
1. Assessing training needs through surveys, interviews, and focus groups to enable creation of goals and objectives for training programs.
2. Organize and coordinate the learning & development calendar
3. Develop and support the delivery of training programs which may involve creating materials, conducting workshops, and providing one-on-one coaching, ensuring that programmes are engaging and relevant to the needs of employees.
4. Evaluating the effectiveness of training programs in meeting StrongMinds objectives through surveys, interviews, and data analysis working to identify areas that are successful and areas that need improvement.
5. Develop, review, and maintain training curriculum, content, material documents, manuals, aids, tools, and media including the course catalog on the learning management platform Ensure that materials are up-to-date and relevant to the needs of the organization.
6. Lead the creation of flexible learning interventions that can be customized to the organizations needs. This may involve the engagement of consultants/subject matter experts and creation of courses, programs and interventions that are relevant to the employees and meet the organizations goals.
7. Identify cross functional and cross category staff training and learning and development needs throughout the organisation, focused on continuous improvement.
8. Work with the human resource departments to develop learning, development and talent plans and budgets in line with the training needs analyses, ensuring that programs are cost effective and align with organization targets and goals.
9. Act as a consultant and or internal advisor to leadership, staff and management on learning and development issues.
10. Create and define necessary competencies and skill requirements for the different job profiles.
11. Oversee the implementation of StrongMinds change management initiatives that pertain to staff development.
Education And Experience:
1. Bachelors degree in Human Resources, Industrial Psychology, Social Science.
2. A Masters or Postgraduate in Human Resources or a related discipline will be an added advantage.
3. At-least 5 -8 years experience in the field of training and development in a reputable organization.
4. At-least 2 years experience in consulting, job analysis, design and/or evaluation.
5. Experience in Performance Management.
6. Experience in talent and succession management programs.
7. Existing knowledge of effective learning and development methods and experience with e-learning platforms and practices
8. Experience in coaching or professional training or organizational psychology
9. Experience in project management and budgeting
1. Human Resources subject matter expert with good appreciation of alignment of learning interventions to business strategy.
2. Ability to conceptualize, challenge the status quo and drive improvements.
3. Excellent stakeholder management skills.
4. Ability to work independently, efficiently, and effectively.
5. Excellent planning, organization, analytical and problem-solving skills.
6. Able to analyze data and metrics to make data driven decisions
7. Excellent presentation and reporting skills.
8. Creative with great execution and follow through.
9. Ability to work with teams to drive and deliver results.
10. Proficient in MS Office with good knowledge of the latest Learning & Developments trends & software, familiarity with e-learning platforms and solutions
11. Languages: Excellent written and spoken command of English.
The successful Learning & Development Specialist will also be expected to embrace and role model the core values of StrongMinds:
1. We are people-focused
2. We think big and act fast
3. We are data-driven
4. We do what we say and we say what we do.
5. We believe in collaboration, not competition
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter, resume, academic/professional qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning Learning & Development Specialist in the subject line by 11.00pm EAT on 3 February 2022.
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.