Gulu University is a Public University established by Statutory Instrument No. 31 of 2003. The University was set to serve as a launch pad for equitable development in Uganda; provide knowledge and skills; and, stimulate innovations in education, technology, economic advancement and social development.
The University is located in Gulu City with campuses in Kitgum District and Hoima City; and, a Constituent College Project in Moroto District.
The Vision of the University is To be the leading Academic Institution for promotion of Community Transformation and Industrialization for Sustainable Development.
The Mission of the University is To provide access to Quality Higher Education, Training, Research and Innovations for the Delivery of Appropriate Services towards Community Transformation and Sustainable Development.
To achieve its Vision and Mission, the University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions:
POSITION: LECTURER (DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY FACULTY OF EDUCATION AND HUMANITIES)
VACANCY: ONE (01)
SALARY SCALE: M6.1 (TEACHING NON-SCIENCE)
REPORTS TO: THE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Purpose of the job
To support the implementation of the students academic and research and innovation pro-grammes of the University.
Key duties and responsibilities
a. Prepares learning materials and delivers lectures to the undergraduate students.
b. Participates in the review and development of the University curriculum
c. Participates in the development of Manuals and kits for the conduct, supervision and evalua-tion of practical assignments to students.
d. Examines, assesses and marks undergraduate students assignments.
e. Undertakes research to support the development of the University academic research pro-posals.
f. Supervises students academic research and industrial practice programmes and activities.
g. Participates in the organization and implementation of University academic conferences, seminars and workshops.
h. Provides technical support and support supervision to Assistant lecturers and other junior academic staff.
i. Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
a. Learning materials prepared and lectures delivered to the undergraduate students.
b. Review and development and implementation of the University curriculum done with other stakeholders.
c. Manuals and kits for the conduct, supervision and evaluation of practical assignments to students developed with other stakeholders.
d. Undergraduate students assignments examined, assessed and marked.
e. Research to support the development of the University academic research proposals undertaken.
f. Students academic research and industrial practice programmes and activities supervised.
g. Organization and implementation of University academic conferences, seminars and workshops done together with other stakeholders.
h. Technical support and support supervision provided to Assistant Lecturers and other junior academic staff.
i. Any other assigned duty performed.
Must possess the following:
a. Bachelors Degree with History or Archaeology or Anthropology or Social Studies as the main subject.
b. Master of Arts in History from a reputable institution of higher learning;
c. A PhD in History from a reputable institution of higher learning;
Relevant teaching experience of not less than three (3) years in a reputable University or institution of higher learning.
The applicant must be fifty five (55) years old or below at the time of application.
Tenure of appointment
The appointment shall be on permanent terms upon successful completion of a probationary period of six months (where applicable).
Suitably qualified and interested persons should submit six (6) hard copies of the application consisting of the following:
1. Letter expressing interest in the job;
2. Recent passport size photographs attached to each copy of the application;
3. A detailed and up to date Curriculum Vitae signed and dated by the applicant;
4. Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates;
5. Copies of relevant appointment letter(s) (where applicable);
6. Copies of National Identity Card and any other relevant identification document;
7. Reference letters from three (3) referees who should be advised to send their reference letters under confidential cover, either in hard copy or using the email address email@example.com
8. Sealed applications with the position applied for indicated on the top right corner of the envelope and reference letters should reach the address below not later than 5:00pm on Wednesday 15th February, 2023:
The University Secretary
P. O. Box 166, Gulu City (U)
1. Incomplete applications and/or applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered.
2. Applicants who do not have National Identity Cards, or whose names and dates of birth on the National Identity Cards are inconsistent with the names and dates of birth on the other required documents will not be shortlisted.
3. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org