Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a not-for-profit organisation operational in 12 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Saferworld is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment that safeguards our staff, partners and communities.
This role is part of Saferworld’s Uganda country programme – where we have been working for over 15 years – which promotes conflict sensitivity and community-based solutions to insecurity and conflict, including on issues of land, gender, refugees and justice.
Reporting to: Finance and Operations Manager
Management responsibility: Matrix management for field location drivers
Type of position: National position
Grade and Salary: A competitive INGO salary
Contract terms and hours: Fixed term
Reporting to the Finance and Operations Manager, the Operations and Logistics Officer will support procurement, fleet management, IT, security, and travel and operations management for the Uganda team.
The post holder will: Ensure compliance with Saferworld and national policies, ensure efficient use of resources including vehicles, motorbikes, and IT equipment, and ensure safety of staff and stakeholders while undertaking their work for Saferworld.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Procurement/Operations Management (20%)
- Maintain a fixed asset inventory register for all offices
- Oversee the purchase, delivery, and the distribution of fuel ensuring checks are in place for loss prevention and efficient use of fuel
- Lead on procurement of service contracts for travel, insurance, and vehicles
- Ensure annual legal registration, tax and insurance of vehicles
- Ensure renewal of organizational operational permit, filling of annual returns with Government bodies
- Maintain effective office systems consistent with Saferworld operating requirements and policies
- Lead on Health and Safety standards and improvements in all Saferworld offices
- Collect performance indicators to be monitored for all areas of operation, seek performance efficiencies where practicable
- Procure any project equipment as needed
- Ensure expenditure is in accordance with procedures and levels of delegated authority and audit requirements
- Serve on procurement team for wider office procurement
- Maintain vehicle maintenance, review vehicle checklist before and after every use for long road travel
- Oversee vehicle logbook and audit regularly to ensure normal fuel consumption
- Act as travel focal point- track and keep a register of all traveller routes, locations and dates of travel for all Saferworld Uganda staff and visitors
- Line manages drivers, ensure safety and quality for every journey
- Ensure driver training has been undertaken and refreshed on an annual basis, keep training logs
- Provide support on fleet management to partners, sharing best practices and spot-checking for safety and appropriate use of motorcycles. Audit use of fuel to ensure appropriate consumption.
- Manage and direct the accurate tracking of vehicle usage and mileage to ensure accountable allocation to appropriate budgets.
- Compile quality and informative consolidated reports to be used by management in decision making processes
Security Focal point duties (50%)
- Provide the primary point of contact on matters of day to day and operational safety and security.
- Monitor the local, national and regional security situation as it affects SW programmes and highlighting immediate or anticipated developments that affect the safety and security of staff, partners or programmes.
- Ensure all travel is appropriately authorised and risk assessed.
- Assess and recommend the security conditions of the routes to be used by staff and visitors.
- Monitor all travel and providing a focal point for staff check in while travelling.
- With the Country Manager, maintain the country security plan and security risk assessment and ensuring it is updated bi/annually or more often as the context dictates.
Key working relationships
Country Manager, Finance and Operations Manager (Line Manager) and Finance Officers; HR, Program Director and Regional Coordinators; Regional Security Manager; Global Security Adviser, Saferworld Operations network.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- BA degree in Procurement and Logistics.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration or in Procurement and Logistics preferred.
- At least 4 to 5 years’ experience in a Fleet Management, Security Management, Operations Management.
- Must have knowledge and experience in Security Management
- Working experience with INGO preferred
Skills and abilities
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and adept at interpersonal relationships including conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and exercise confidentiality.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse staff.
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
- Commitment to safety and wellbeing of staff, partners and stakeholders
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
- The job may require prolonged periods of desk sitting and working on a computer.
- The position is based in Kampala, with frequent travel to field offices/project sites.
How to Apply
To apply: Download and complete an application form at https://www.saferworld.org.uk/job-postings/operations-and-logisitics-officer-deadline-14-april-2023 and send to HR Team at firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref: UG-OLO23).
NB. Please ensure to name your application form in your full names.
Deadline for applications: 14th April 2023 not later than 5:00pm. Only successfully shortlisted candidates will be contacted.