Office Of The President
Office Of The President
The Government of Uganda (GoU), represented by the Ministry for Kampala Capital City and Metropolitan Affairs (MKCC&MA), is planning to launch a new program to support special urban needs for infrastructure improvement – the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area Urban Development Program (GKMA- UDP), which will be supported throughout the implementation by a World Bank International Development Agency (IDA) Credit to the tune of US$566 million. The program support will be for a 5-year period, (FY 2022/23- 2027/28), and will encompass support to urban infrastructure development, institutional strengthening and capacity enhancement, support to core Ministries related with these activities, as well as to program management arrangements and institutional strengthening.
The GKMA-UDP is designed using the Bank’s new lending instrument Program for Result (PforR) whereby disbursement is linked to actual results agreed upon and realized on the ground. To mitigate any capacity risks, Government is now in the process of recruiting the Program Support Team (PST) that will assist the MKCC&MA and the participating sub National entities in the implementation of the Program. The Government through MKCC&MA is re-advertising the position of a Procurement Specialist (PS). The PS will be employed as an Individual consultant on a two year renewable contract based on performance with tasks and responsibilities as below:
A. TITLE: PROCUREMENT SPECIALIST (PS)
Reports To: The Programme Coordinator
A Master’s degree in either Procurement, Commerce, Business Administration, Law, Engineering or related field and must be a qualified member of a professional body such as CIPS, with at least 15 years experiences in public procurement.
Experience in Local Government Procurement and Knowledge of World Bank procurement procedures will be an added advantage.
The Procurement Specialist tasks and responsibilities:
1. Working closely with the PDU of MKCC&MA, conduct procurement under the Project
2. Work closely with the Head PDU of the MKCC&MA to ensure timely, cost effective and full compliance of procurement activities with the Financing Agreement and applicable regulations as required.
3. Provides hands-on support to the PDU staff at the MKCC&MA and the 14 GKMA-UDP Municipal LGs in ensuring, amongst others, that (i) up-to-date and complete procurement files are established for each sub-projects/activities; (ii) annual procurement plans are prepared, (iii) procurement activities are done timely as per rules and regulation, and (iv) quarterly procurement progress reports are prepared etc.
4. Consolidating all procurement reports for submission to IDA as per the Program requirements.
5. Support in Capacity building of the Ministry Staff and participating Sub national entities and Local Governments in the procurement and disposal
6. Establishment and implementation of proper monitoring system and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt and evaluation of quotations, bids or proposals, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with PPDA rules and regulation.
7. Preparation of submissions to the MKCC&MA (Contract Committee), through the PDU and for No objection
8. Design and conduct workshops to educate GKMA-UDP Municipal LGs procurement staff on PPDA procurement procedures/regulations and approach to procurement as well as on specialized procurement topics as per Program Action Plan;
9. Prepare a range of procurement-related forms, documents and reports ensuring that all specifications, terms and conditions are according to PPDA rules, regulation and standards; and provide guidance and training to junior procurement staff;
10. Maintain effective liaison with contractors/suppliers to ensure timely delivery. Liaise with end-users, contractors and suppliers on quality and appropriateness of goods;
11. Evaluate contractors’/suppliers’ claims pertaining to outstanding contracts/procurement actions; subsequent endorsement of invoices in accordance with required norms;
12. Provide operational advice to Program and Ministry staff on concepts, policies and procedures for international and local procurement.
13. Negotiate and resolve procurement issues with project and Ministries and handle questions/complaints on bidding and award issues in project;
14. Assist in development of specifications based on end user requirements and prepare shortlists based on investigation of markets as well as policy considerations to the project;
15. Coordinate the necessary activities to ensure that the procurement under the program both at Municipality and Ministry levels are competitive. This shall include business outreach programs with the private sector in coordination with the PPDA and the MCs
16. Coordinate with PPDA to conduct annual audits of Procurement in the Ministry and participating Sub national entities
17. Coordinate with PPDA to conduct annual audits of Procurement in the Ministry and participating Sub national entities
18. Perform other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator. 18. Report to the Program Coordinator GKMA-UDP and the Head Procurement and Disposable Unit (HPDU) of the MKCC&MA.
Interested applicants should deliver a written application with all the CVs and Academic Documents relevant to;
The Accounting Officer, Ministry of Kampala Capital City and Metropolitan Affairs, Office of the President, Parliamentary Building, Floor 3 Room 1322. P. O. Box 7168, KAMPALA, UGANDA, Tel: +256 414 254881/6 by 02:00PM, on 23rd January 2023.
Applicants who had earlier applied for this position should not apply. Those who applied for other positions for Program Support Team (PST) should check at https://www.op.go.ug/tenders for the shortlist and the Dates for interviews.