Jinja Area Communities Federation (JIACOFE) is a child-focused Non- Governmental Organization (NGO), supported by ChildFund. It was established in 2004 and is an umbrella organization, constituting six communities, located in the districts of Kamuli, Mayuge and Jinja. JIACOFE supports Children, Youth and Parents who work for the development of their communities. JIACOFE’s Areas of intervention are; Health care and support, Youth empowerment, Child sponsorship, Basic Education, household economic empowerment, Early Childhood Development and Child Protection.
Contingent upon funding from USAID Integrated Child and Youth Development Activity (ICYD), JIACOFE will be implementing Soft skills and work readiness project in Kamuli and Mayuge districts. Consequently, JIACOFE seeks to recruit suitably qualified, self-motivated and hardworking persons in the following positions:
JOB TITLE: PROJECT COORDINATOR (1)
Reporting to: Program Manager
Responsible for: Field Project Officers and Community Based Facilitators
Duration: 1 year (Renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funding)
Start date Immediate
Duty Station: JIACOFE OFFICE
Purpose of Position & Job Summary:
To ensure effective coordination, supervision, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the USAID-ICYD Work readiness/soft skills training project activities in Kamuli and Mayuge districts. The Project Coordinator will collaborate with other Partners in the two districts for effective and timely project delivery.
Major Responsibilities and Key Result Areas:
• Coordinate training of project staff and Community-Based Facilitators on the work readiness and soft skills curriculum
• Organize inception meetings at the district level and at the sub-county level in each of the two districts of implementation to orient district and sub-county leadership both technical and political about the project.
• Facilitate Research Assistant to conduct vulnerability assessment of youth before enrollment on the work readiness/ soft skills training project
• Work with field project officers and community structures to select and enroll youths following the enrolment eligibility criteria.
• Coordinate orientation meetings for enrolled youth and their caregivers on the project in Kamuli and Mayuge districts
• Provide logistical assistance to the Field Project Officers for the training of youth on work readiness and soft skills project
• Ensure community weekly sessions for youth on work readiness and soft skills trainings are conducted in accordance with work plan, budget and fidelity standards
• Coordinate a refresher training for community-based facilitators on financial literacy and support them to deliver weekly financial literacy and group saving sessions to clustered youth groups in accordance with work plan, budget and fidelity standards.
• Work with Field Project Officers to guide the formation of youth saving groups and provision of saving kits
• Coordinate a refresher training for community-based facilitators on selection, planning, and management of business enterprises (SPM)
• Oversee the assessment of youth business plans/Ideas to inform in-Kind support for selected youth as per the selection criteria
• Support Field Project Officers and Community Based Facilitators to deliver training of youth in selection planning and management of business enterprises and adolescent reproductive health in accordance with work plan, budget and fidelity standards.
• The project coordinator will oversee the vetting processes of individual business ideas/plans for in-kind support using a selection criterion.
• The project coordinator will conduct monthly monitoring of project activities using standard project monitoring tools to track progress against targets through site visits, phone calls and meetings.
• Conduct support supervision visits to Filed Project Officers and Community Based Facilitators during work readiness training, financial literacy, selection planning and Management and transitional
• Spearhead assessment of youth skill needs for transitional support and mapping of partners for youth placement on work-based learning and linkage of youth to other opportunities for support
• Facilitate peer youth mentors to conduct group mentorship sessions to enhance peer learning
• Support youth to participate in international youth day and world Aids Day and show case through exhibitions and youth led advocacy
• Prepare timely and quality quarterly reports for submission to management and donors.
• Ensure quarterly documentation of project success stories, good practices, and testimonies.
• Ensure timely response to donor inquiries and requests.
• Ensure that the project resources are properly utilized, there is value for money and timely accountability
• Organize stakeholder quarterly and biannual reviews to realign processes and objectives.
• Represents JIACOFE in relevant fora and seminars on matters of Youth Work readiness/soft skills project.
• Perform any other duties that may from time to time be assigned by the immediate supervisor
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• A Degree in Education, Development Studies, Social Work and Social Administration, Community Based Rehabilitation, Community Psychology, Adult and Community Education or related field
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in OVC/youth work readiness training, entrepreneurship, financial literacy/VSLAs, youth livelihoods, and/or youth development.
• Experience conducting training for community groups
• Understanding of the Ugandan youth livelihoods, and out-of-school youth context.
• Understanding of best practices in positive youth development approaches.
• Demonstrated experience monitoring project activities.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, prioritizing multiple tasks.
• Knowledge of/experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
• Experience in using computer applications (word processing, excel, database, internet)
• Practical knowledge in project planning and management.
• Experience in Participatory community development approaches; mobilization and capacity building.
• Possess well-developed networking abilities, and be able to interact well with youth, adult, and communities.
• Dynamic and result oriented.
• Proficiency of the local language (Lusoga/Luganda) of the area is a must
• Ability to ride a motorcycle and possession of a valid class “A” riders’ license is a MUST.
Job application process
Please apply in Confidence to:
The Board Chairperson,
Jinja Area Communities Federation
P.O. Box 1351,
Applications should be Hand delivered and registered at JIACOFE Offices located at Wanyange – 5 Kilo Meters from Jinja City (Along Jinja – Iganga Highway) near Bugembe Trading Centre.
Or sent via email below
Please note the following:
1) Include a cover letter, copies of academic documents three (3) referees, with their daytime contacts and emails.
2) Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification of the candidate
3) Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
4) JIACOFE implements a Child Protection Policy. Applicants must be willing to adhere to the Child Protection Code of Conduct in case they are hired.
5) JIACOFE pre-recruitment checks will be required for successful candidates, including background checks
Application Deadline: Friday 31st March 2023; 5:00 PM