Solidaridad is a global civil society organization (CSO) that provides market driven solutions for sustainable production practices across different supply chains. We envision a world in which all we produce, and all we consume, can sustain us while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. Our mission is to bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all stakeholders.
Title: Project Officer
Duration: One (1) Year renewable upon satisfactory performance
Reporting line: Project Manager
Main objective of the function
The Project Officer will support implementation of the ****Scaling Sustainable &Equitable Value in Cereals ValueChains in Uganda (S4S) Project. He/She will be part of the S4S project whose purpose is to improve the livelihoods of 20,000 farmers through increased sustainable production and market access for barley, sorghum and maize in Uganda by 2024. This goal will be achieved through 3 key objectives:
The Project Officer reports to the Project Manager or Senior Projects Manager at the national and regional levels and works closely with the Country Manager at the country level. The Project Officer works closely with the Head of Programmes, Senior Project Officers, Project Associates, innovation theme advisers, and the quality function team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the preparation of project work plans, budgets and time schedules for implementing the project activities.
- Support the identification and planning of technical activities and requirements to implement the project as per organisational standards.
Project Implementation Follow-up
- Coordinate and implement day to day project activities with beneficiaries and partners in the field ensuring that technical quality and standards are considered and respected during project(s) implementation.
- Ensure project activities are on time, target and budget, using effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems to reach desired impacts.
- Assist the Project Manager to trouble-shoot any project challenges during project implementation.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to the Project Manager and other team members.
Documenting and Compliance
- Keep records of all the project activity documents, in particular beneficiary list, completion certificates, attendance sheets, etc.
- Help maintain a beneficiary master database containing all beneficiary registration and baseline information, as well as the project activities from which the beneficiaries benefitted ensure the data is protected from misuse in line with Solidaridad’s data protection policy.
Beneficiary Engagement and Accountability
- Adhere to Solidaridad’s Code of Conduct and treat all beneficiaries with respect and without any distinction or discrimination based on nationality, race, ethnicity, tribe, gender, religious beliefs, political opinion or disability.
- Support the selection of beneficiaries benefiting from the project activities.
- Communicate Solidaridad’s Complaints and Response Mechanism target communities and participate in solving complaints related to the project in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Participate in project coordination meetings with the project team.
- Develop project communication materials for internal coordination.
External Coordination and Stakeholder Engagement
- Undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Cultivate good relations with key actors – local, regional and international, including government authorities and non-government organization actors, through regular attendance at technical meetings and bilateral meetings.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and coordinate efforts with other organizations to ensure our activities build upon – rather than replicate – the work of others.
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with Solidaridad and donor requirements.
- Participate in review meetings with partners, with particular attention given to the relationship aspects of partnership collaboration, and ensure that any issues or disputes are resolved in a timely manner.
- Ensure that each member of the project field team is aware of security issues, policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and they follow them accordingly.
- Ensure that project field staff understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities.
- Follow up-up the work plans and day-to-day activities of the project field staff.
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics among project team members.
- Ensure capacity building among project team members.
- Contribute to the development of project plans (e.g. procurement, logistics etc.), when assigned.
- Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner to the quality function team.
- Ensure proper management and use of the project assets and stocks.
- Plan field team movements based on available fleet and applicable policies.
- Forecast monthly cash requirements for the month’s project activities and submit to the Project Manager.
- Assess the project activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources.
- Undertake regular field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision, as well as regularly monitor the progress of the project activities.
- Assist with monitoring project activities implemented by field staff and partners (if any).
- Document lessons learned and best practices and share them with the Project Manager and the Regional Communications Officer, so they can be reflected in project planning, communication materials, and decision-making.
- Ensure adherence to donor procedures.
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of progress and final reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information for activities.
- Participate in communication activities through the regular collection of pictures and stories related to project activities.
- Participate in business development processes through the provision of expert programmatic advice related to contextual knowledge.
- Relevant academic level education, Bachelor’s degree or higher – in a relevant field (e.g. Agriculture, Public Policy, Development Studies, Social Science, Project Management, Strategic Management etc.).
- At least three (3) years’ experience working with projects funded by international agencies or development partners.
- Demonstrable experience in project design, planning and implementation.
- Experience with proposal writing and technical report writing.
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops and seminars would be desirable.
Specific job requirements
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to implement projects and local partners to effectively meet project needs.
- Ability to work effectively with governmental and non-governmental organizations and local communities in carrying out project objectives.
- Excellent reporting skills and ability to relate sensitively to diverse groups.
- Self-driven and able to deliver results with minimum supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent critical, creative thinking, and analytical skills.
- Experience in program administration, operating procedures, oversight, and monitoring.
- Ability to work with database applications.
- Knowledge of project funding procedures and guidelines
- Capable of working in a dynamic, inter-cultural and multi-stakeholder setting.
- Able to travel extensively within Eastern and Central Africa and occasional international travel.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to produce professional reports in English language.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
To apply: Send a one-page cover letter (including salary expectations and availability) and CV to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Use this link to directly apply on the career site
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.