|Job Description:||Research Assistant – Inclusive Education||Responsible to:||Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Specialist|
|Assignment Duration||2 months||Country:||Uganda|
|No. of positions||1||Work location:||Yumbe|
Purpose of the Role:
As part of the VSO’s Knowledge, Evidence and Learning team you will support research activities including translation, data collection, collation, interviewing, facilitation of focus group discussions, data analysis and report writing.
- Work closely with the MEAL Specialist in Uganda to assist on research activities.
- Support literature review, data collection, collation, and translation. Activities to include administering surveys, facilitation of focus group discussions, key informant interviews, write up detailed transcripts.
- Recommend specific findings that identify key lessons and recommendations during the process.
- The role will include field work to conduct interviews with government officials, youth groups and primary actors.
- Other activities to support the VSO team as required.
This is a short-term consultancy role and require on the ground activities at project sites for engagement with primary actors and other stakeholders. All field work expenses will be covered by VSO including volunteer allowance. Allowances will be based on per day worked and delivery of agreed activities/output.
- Relevant degree in social science/development studies or related subject. Experience in education domain and livelihoods domain are desired
- Undertaking quantitative and qualitative research and assessment exercises; knowledge and experience of using mixed methods will be an advantage.
- User experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis through use of relevant analysis software packages.
- Comparative analysis, report-writing, and presentation skills
- Good command of written and spoken English and working knowledge of at least two of the following local languages: Arabic, Acholi, Kakwa/Kuku and Lugbabra/Aringa (interviews and field work shall be in English).
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Willingness to travel to remote areas and willingness to work flexibly as required.
- Respect and commitment to volunteering for development as VSO’s core development methodology.
- Minimum Years of Experience: 2 years
Safeguarding Level 2:
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. All employees/volunteers are expected to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy. Due diligence checks including reference and criminal background will be carried out for the role.
Appointed individual will work closely with in-country project implementation teams and MEAL Specialist who will provide day to day supervision and support. The MEAL Specialist will provide direction on tools and approaches to be used at each stage for the evaluation and support quality of outputs.
To apply for this job please visit www.vsointernational.org.