Legal jobs in Uganda
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To protect and promote the legal interests of the Company, by handling litigation either when the Company is sued or the Company is seeking legal redress, ensure the Companys compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements, and to carry out the day to day legal duties that require the experience and expertise of an officer at Senior Level.
KEY RESULT AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Result Area 1: Planning and organizing for the provision of legal services
1. Participate in the formulation of work plans, budgets and strategies for the provision of legal services.
2. Determine periodic performance targets for him/her, and agree on them with the Head Legal/ Company Secretary.
Result Area 2: Providing legal services
1. Draft pleadings, correspondences, prepare reports and proof read documents as assigned.
2. Review pleadings, correspondences and reports prepared by the Legal Officer.
3. Coordinate with External Counsel in availing all the required documentation as well as availing any required support with respect to Court Cases handled by External Counsel.
4. Represent the Company in legal matters before Courts of Law.
5. Draft Agreements, Contracts, and other legal documents as assigned.
6. Review Agreements, contracts and other legal documents prepared by the Legal Officer.
7. Participate in Policy development and review; ensure proper use of legal terminology, spelling, business English and grammar and ensuring compliance of the Companys Policies with statutory and regulatory requirements.
8. Handle Subrogation matters as and when forwarded to the Legal Department.
9. Conduct claim investigations and advise the Claims Department accordingly.
10. Carry out legal research and provide reasoned legal opinion as assigned.
Result Area 3: Ensuring Statutory and Regulatory Compliance
1. Ensure the Companys compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements through continuous monitoring and timely reporting as per the regulatory requirements.
2. Promote and sustain a compliance culture relating to compliance to applicable statutes, regulations and Company Policies.
3. Contribute to the provision of documentation and information for compliance purposes.
4. Continuous sensitization of staff of the policies, regulations and standards to be complied with.
Result Area 4: Contributing to Institutional Development
1. Provide technical guidance and support to the Legal Officer as necessary.
2. Periodically assess own capacity development needs and propose appropriate programmes to address the identified needs.
3. Participate in the coaching and on-the-job training of new staff in the Legal Department.
4. Attend and actively participate in periodic meetings of the Legal Department, and take actions arising from the meetings, as assigned.
5. Contribute to the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for departmental meetings and management meetings.
Job Specifications and skills
1. A minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Law with a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
2. A Valid Practicing Certificate before the High Court of Uganda & Other Subordinate Courts thereto.
3. A minimum of 4 years of progressive work experience in Legal Practice. (The experience in the Insurance sector shall be an added advantage)
4. At least 3 years working experience relating to compliance in any relevant area.
5. Experience in handling litigations or court cases
6. Report writing skills
7. Communication skills
8. Ability to draft legal documents
9. Negotiation skills
10. Investigative skills
11. Computer literacy, mostly MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
12. Good command of written English
13. Analytical skills
14. Interpersonal skills
Key Knowledge Required
1. Company Law
2. Insurance Law & Regulations
3. Good knowledge of the insurance industry
4. Labor Laws
5. Private sector working methods
6. Good understanding of commercial legal matters
Interested persons can deliver applications, detailed curriculum vitae and copies of academic qualifications with two referees addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager Statewide Insurance Company Limited Plot 1, Bombo Road
P.O. Box 9393 Kampala – Uganda.
The applications should reach SWICO Head office or email their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title of Senior Legal & Compliance Officer.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of submission, please consider yourself unsuccessful.
Deadline: Friday 13th January 2023
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com