Mountains of the Moon University (MMU)
Mountains of the Moon University (MMU) is a Public University established under Statutory Instrument, Number 2 of 2022, hence a body corporate with perpetual succession and a Common Seal.
First established as a Private University in 2005, by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE), in accordance with the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001, as amended, MMU has been making strides toward becoming an academic Centre of excellence.
To consolidate its desire for academic excellence, MMU hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and skilled candidates for the following positions: –
JOB TITLE: SENIOR LEGAL OFFICER
Salary Scale: (M5)
Responsible to: University Secretary
No. of Posts: 1
Ref. No: EXT AD/APP/004/01/03
Purpose of the job
To guide the University management on all legal matters.
- Establishing the strategic direction, designing and implementing policies and procedures for the overall legal function of the University
- Leading the defence and action of all University legal cases
- Providing legal expertise to the entire University structures.
- Providing leadership and ensuring efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the legal Unit.
- Planning and directing all aspects of the University’s legal affairs and ensuring effective execution.
- Reviewing and advising management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Reviewing and drafting contracts, agreements and ensuring that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Liaising with the External Lawyers, in consultation with the University Secretary on all cases that are referred to them for action.
- Preparing monthly and quarterly reports to Management.
- Liaising with the faculties, directorates and departments of the University to ensure that legal risks are identified and appropriate legal action taken.
- Overseeing the drafting of contracts and memoranda.
- Defence of the University well conducted
- All contracts and other legal documents reviewed before they are signed off.
- Legal strategic direction of the University is given
Person Specifications should have a minimum of;
- A Masters of Law from a recognized Higher Education Training institution
- Diploma in Legal Practice and a Bachelor of Laws from a recognized institution
- 7 years relevant working experience, at least 3 years of which should be at supervisory level with proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting documents.
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory frameworks
- Leadership and supervisory skills
- In addition, the candidate should be an Advocate of High Court with a valid practicing certificate and ability to build, lead, and work with teams. Skills in Computer literacy and having interpersonal and communication skills, with
- Quick judgement and decision making and ability to initiate change.
Interested and eligible candidates MUST ELECTRONICALLY submit on e-mail email@example.com as one attachment in PDF the following: –
- Application letter.
- A detailed up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) containing names and contacts of three (3) credible referees.
- Certified copies of the relevant academic/professional Transcripts and Certificates.
- Copy of a valid National Identity Card.
- Details of the physical address, telephone contact, and email address.
- Any other relevant documentation to support the application.
The application should be addressed to: –
The University Secretary
Mountains of the Moon University P. O. Box 837, Fort Portal Uganda Fort-Portal, Lake Saaka Campus, Block C, Room 03.
The deadline for receiving the application is by 5:00 p.m. on Friday 17th February 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org