International Organization for Migration
International Organization for Migration
Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) (G6)
VACANCY NOTICE (VN)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support)
Reference No : VN/UG/002/2023
Duty Station : Kyaka, Uganda
Classification : General Service (G6)
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible Closing Date: 31st January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non- governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy and are considered as first-tier candidates
Organizational context and scope
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organizations work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOMs operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOMs Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOMs auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under overall supervision of Head of Operations of GLWCA and in close coordination with the National Movement Operations Officer, and the direct supervision of the Operations Associate, the Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for supervising movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate a team or teams of up to a total of eight staff members undertaking field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation, including supporting staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of field support activities.
2. Coordinate the efficient and effective management of airport services, including care and verification of travel documentation; assistance with airport formalities; escorts for arriving and departing individuals; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and sending notifications using relevant systems. Schedule daily work for Field Support staff, ensuring adequate coverage for all flight arrivals and departures based on advanced booking notifications (ABNs) and onward movements, and ensure staff have adequate power and IT availability to complete their work. Handle all urgent issues as they occur and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with IOM management.
3. Coordinate staff as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities throughout their stay. Coordinate with the Operations Associate (Field Support) to maintain an organized flow of individuals and their luggage through arrival and departure procedures at the facility; track relevant information regarding flight data and ensure team members are updated on departure times, delays and cancellations; work with staff to ensure luggage and medical checks are organized in an efficient manner; under the supervision of the Operations Associate (Field Support), create the weekly shift schedule and assign tasks, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a safe, secure and clean environment; report regularly to management on long-stayers and other relevant issues, employing creative problem solving as needed to handle problems. In coordination with the Operations Associate (Field Support), handle financial paperwork.
4. Coordinate timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations, ensuring staff members work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
5. Coordinate pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Schedule and supervise daily discussions with individuals staying in facilities on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Ensure all posters and informational messages are up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
6. Provide oversight at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or management if issues arise.
7. Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, supervising staff as they ensure the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and preparing and supervising relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and that staff members arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
8. Coordinate selection mission support exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
9. Under the close supervision of the Operations Associate (Field Support), liaise as needed with other Teams and Units in IOM UGANDA and with external partners such as airport and government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Associate (Field Support) and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
10. Train Field Support Team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage their work, conduct quality assurance, and to monitor and guide other Field Support staff members and activities.
11. Alert the Operations Associate (Field Support) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Education or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience;
High school diploma with six years of relevant professional experience.
Prior Movement Operations, transportation-related and/or management experience a strong advantage.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders;
Experience in leading interactive training seminars or orientation sessions for youth and adults.
Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills;
Attention to details;
Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office Packages (Office, Excel, Power Point, SharePoint, Outlook)
Fluency in English
Working Knowledge of French is advantageous
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies behavioural indicators level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organizations priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies behavioural indicators level 2
Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organizations vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organizations goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31st January 2023. Reference Number and Position Title: VN/UG/002/2023 Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
From: 17th-31st January 2023
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com