U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2023-021
Position Title: Shops Foreman (Lead Maintenance Technician)
Opening Period: 03/22/2023 – 03/31/2023
Series/Grade: FSN 7/FP-7
Salary: UGX 50,500,012
For More Info: KampalaHRLERecruitment@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Shops Foreman (Lead Maintenance Technician).
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: Performs administrative and supervision function of the Carpentry, Mason, Welding and Painter Shops. Incumbent reports directly to the Facilities Maintenance Officer. Performs Quality Assurance checks on the related Shops, coordinating their work, working with the schedulers and working with other Maintenance Supervisors and their work.
Download: Detailed Position Description | Lead Maintenance Technician
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school and successful completion of vocational training as a journeyman from a recognized training facility.
EXPERIENCE: Three years as a journeyman supervisor is required.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level 3 English ability (good working knowledge) is required. Level I (rudimentary) knowledge of a local language is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to plan, implement and accomplish building maintenance works. Ability to read and understand technical engineering drawings. Must have a valid Ugandan driver’s license of classes B, CM, DL. This may be tested.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- A level certificate.
- Vocational Training Certificate
- Diploma certificate
- Valid Driver’s license of classes B, CM, DL.
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.