Management jobs in Uganda
Years Of Experience
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Water For People is committed to protecting children encountered during our work and by our employees, preventing sexual abuse and exploitation of all individuals with a particular focus on women and children and other marginalized communities in the performance of our work, preventing human trafficking in the performance of our work and in our supply chain and to having a drug-free workplace. During the recruitment processes, additional documentation will be requested to comply with our policies and in accordance with the legal requirements in your country of residency, this includes a background check. If you apply for employment, we want you to be aware of our recruitment, selection and hiring processes including important policies regarding employee conduct.
Water for People is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to creating a culture of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in our workplace. Water for people strives to create and maintain a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this regardless of race, ethnicity, ancestry, tribal affiliation, age, gender, religion, veteran status, disability, socioeconomic class, educational attainment, Parental status, genetic information, political affiliation or other social identities is critical to our ability to have a world where every person has access to reliable and safe water and sanitation services.
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems globally. The organization strives to continually improve, experiment with promising new ideas, and leverage resources to multiply its impact.
Project Officer mobilizes communities for engagement in community development initiatives towards water, sanitation, and hygiene improvement. The incumbent supports communities to identify their own problems and to devise means of overcoming them.
Essential Job Functions and Duties:
1. Mobilize and facilitate the participation of communities, local institutions and local governments during the planning, implementation, and monitoring of community interventions.
2. Support communities to identify their sanitation and hygiene weaknesses and to devise means of overcoming them.
3. Implement community and school sanitation and hygiene initiatives using proven approaches including CLTS, PHAST, PHASE, Market Based Sanitation Improvement Approach etc.
4. Facilitate nurturing of local partnerships, networks and coalitions with civil society organizations and facilitate capacity building of communities and local institutions.
5. Promotion of Sanitation as a business through building capacity of local sanitation value chain actors
6. Facilitate the implementation, monitoring, and documentation of community sanitation interventions in line with approved plans and annual data monitoring.
7. Monitor and ensure effective and quality communications between the Kamwenge office, the sub-county local government and community structures.
8. Work closely with the Education, Community Development Office at the District and Sub County for planning, activation, Capacity Building and follow up of planned activities and regular meetings.
9. Collect and process accurate and timely information regarding programme activities.
10. Ensure communities are regularly involved in all phases of WASH programmes for school, Household and Health Care facilities.
11. Mapping of all community institutions (Churches, VSLA, etc) and develop action for engagement.
12. Document successes, failures and lessons learnt, and share knowledge internally and externally.
13. Actively collaborate with Water For people strategic partners and other sector players to promote sanitation as a business
14. Support the finance team in identification and follow up service providers in kamwenge when the need arises.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Our commitment ensures that we:
1. Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
2. Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating each other with dignity, respect, and appreciation enabling us to feel welcome, supported, and valued.
3. Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with stakeholders within our diverse communities. Have diversity of thought, perspectives, backgrounds, identities, and talents that will support our mission to develop high-quality_drinking water and sanitation services are available to Everyone Forever.
1. The incumbent will be a holder of a bachelor’s degree of Development Studies, or Environmental Health Science, or Social Sciences or any other related discipline. Post graduate qualifications in Project Planning and Management is desirable. Knowledge of Runyakitara is an added advantage.
2. He/she should be self-motivated, a seasoned negotiator with good interpersonal and communication skills. Having a valid riding permit is desirable.
A written application addressed to the Head of Human Resources, with a detailed CV having three referees and the corresponding academic documents should be delivered to Water For People Offices at:
Plot 15 Lugogo By Pass, Mviri lane P.O. Box 1420, Kampala
Or sent by email to the address below:
Deadline for submission is 5:00pm on Monday 6th March 2023